Welcome

I started this blog in 2010 when there were 11 weeks to go before my next Ironman triathlon. People have found it interesting (mainly my Mum!) so I continue to write.
The Ironman is a long distance triathlon; Swim 2.4miles, Cycle 112miles, Run 26.2 miles (marathon). I have competed in one every year since 2004. I hope this blog can help others see what is involved. I find the process of writing it makes me more accountable and motivates me to do the harder sessions when i'm not feeling like it!

Tuesday 8 June 2010

Turbo 
Warm up 15mins
Set (250w x 20min at 90rpm) x 2 on 5min rest
then (250w x 5min at 90rpm) x 4 on 5min rest
1.5km run off bike at IMP

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/36204719
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/36204722

A hard session, plan was to do 3x main set but backed off on the third and broke it up into 4. Amazing how you change mentally from thinking this is going to be hard at the beginning to increasing in confidence and then negative thoughts creeping in towards the end.

Starting to think my time may be best spent on sessions like these rather than the big sessions. The endurance is there so there is a good argument that a couple of focused hard hours on the turbo may be better than 6 on the road?

There seems to be a lot of agreement that running is hard on the body - better to put time in on the bike and get used to running fast off it for a short distance and hope you can hang on when it come to the race.

More playing with bike position - seems left leg likes to be closer to pedal (saddle lower) and right leg likes the saddle higher. Sorry to mention all this here but it's to provide a record for me so I know what changes i've made.

A lot of cycling trainers will talk about level of exertion called TEMPO or FUNCTIONAL THRESHOLD POWER (FTP). This is basically the level you could sustain if you went all out for an hour - some call it "the hour of power" . You can base a lot of the Zones etc around this. There's a great book about all this - link below

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Training-Racing-Power-Meter-Hunter/dp/1934030554/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276038046&sr=8-1

So well rested and psyched up I think I must be around 250W for my FTP. It's humbling to know that this is the wattage the winners keep up for 4 hours 30min.

Looking at hotels in Bolton today for the race weekend - not much left only ones with scary reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment