Welcome

I started this blog in 2010 when there were 11 weeks to go before my next Ironman triathlon. People have found it interesting (mainly my Mum!) so I continue to write.
The Ironman is a long distance triathlon; Swim 2.4miles, Cycle 112miles, Run 26.2 miles (marathon). I have competed in one every year since 2004. I hope this blog can help others see what is involved. I find the process of writing it makes me more accountable and motivates me to do the harder sessions when i'm not feeling like it!

Sunday 14 August 2011

Sauna
30mins (19 + 5 + 6)
I wore the heart rate monitor - really interesting to see it climb despite not doing any physical work. By the time it hit 130 I was ready to get out.

Swim
30mins
Mainly drill: single arm, PT paddles, ankle band.




Received a helpful email from Paul Newsome (swim coach, swim smooth) - I had asked him about the differences with swimming in the sea compared to the pool.

Hi James

Apologies for the delay - I've been over in Canada doing some swim coaching and your email caught me mid-transfer - sorry about that!

Good question - have you checked out: http://swimsmooth.com/triathlon - 5 top tips for open water swimming.

With respect to actual adjustments to your stroke, a few more ideas:

  1. If it's rough, aim to swim with a slightly straighter arm recovery to ensure good arm clearance over the chop, swell and other swimmers
  2. Maintain a rhythmical, flowing stroke with a slightly elevated stroke rate over what you'd normally use in the pool - especially useful at the start during the washing machine effect.
  3. Pace yourself accordingly - it's tempting to go off like a bat out of hell at the start, but doing so could really wreck your race. You need to get a good start, but just like in the pool, remember that you have a threshold pace, whereby if you step too far over that for too long at the start you're sure to blow up.

Keep us posted with how you get on.

Cheers

Paul


Kind regards

Paul

Paul Newsome
Head Coach
World Class Coaching in Your Language!
Tel. +61 (0) 431 540 980


No comments:

Post a Comment