Welcome

I started this blog in 2010 when there were 11 weeks to go before my next Ironman triathlon. People have found it interesting (mainly my Mum!) so I continue to write.
The Ironman is a long distance triathlon; Swim 2.4miles, Cycle 112miles, Run 26.2 miles (marathon). I have competed in one every year since 2004. I hope this blog can help others see what is involved. I find the process of writing it makes me more accountable and motivates me to do the harder sessions when i'm not feeling like it!

Monday 2 July 2012

Run

2 x 20min x 15km/hr on 5min recovery 1% incline
Yoga
- 1 hour ashtanga
S&C
- Hamstring strength work;
golfers T pick up 6kg dumbells x 10
High cable tripple extension
Nordic hamstrings
Swiss ball single leg curls
TRX double leg curls
Very like the swiss ball leg curls but both legs suspended by strap.

Couple of days off now following the long working weekend. Started with a lie in to 10am.
Run went really well, form much better than recently. Felt very comfortable. Think this is about 2.45 marathon pace and heart rate just around anaerobic threshold by the end. Been thinking a lot about form following the last treadmill session and read up on hamstring problems as mine cramped up. I think the cause could be overstriding on the right with hip flexors that are too strong/short in comparison to the hamstring. The above exercises are recommended 1-3 hours after running (so already fatigued and don't turn off the training effect which would happen if you did them the other way around)
Despite all this my heart rate was higher than last time for the same effort.
So over the next 3 weeks i'll try and improve the hamstring's condition.

No comments:

Post a Comment